Research Question & Introduction
Research Question: How can we get more women into the tech industry?
My name is Danelle Porter I’m writing about the importance of women being in technology. Through my writing class in 122 I have learned new ways to write my papers. I chose this research question because all the other essays I have written have one theme in common which is working in technology. I think it is very important that women have the same rights in technology that men do. However, this is not always the case which is why this topic strikes me as important to address. I feel that more people need to be informed to help give women a chance to be involved in all aspects of the tech community. Women deserve the same rights as men in the tech world.
Research Collection and Annotations
1. Rudnick, Diane Tarmy, and Ellen J. Wallach. “Women In Technology: A Program To Increase Career Awareness.”Personnel & Guidance Journal 58.6 (1980): 445. Academic Search Premier. Web. 21 May 2014. <http://web.a.ebscohost.com.libproxy.pcc.edu/ehost/pdfviewer/pdfviewer?sid=e5ef7d87-eec4-436a-8ddc-f8fb90535f25%40sessionmgr4004&vid=9&hid=4201>
This article is a great resource as it addresses why women have joined the tech industry and what leads women into the working world. What the article addresses is that tech careers are more for men making it harder for women to break into the world of technology careers. However, they are trying to persuade more women into the field of technology. The piece demonstrates programs that develop awareness for nontraditional careers for women. Require less than four years of education and no postsecondary education. The article also discusses funding, program development, design, and evaluation. The article helps to support my point that more women need to join the tech world.
2. Bram, Thursday. “Attracting Girls to STEM: Four Ways Women in Tech Can Help.” InformIT: The Trusted Technology Source for IT Pros and Developers. N.p., 13 May 2014. Web. 21 May 2014.
The article starts off by explaining how there needs to be more women in STEM (science, technology, engineering, and mathematics) careers. Any woman who has any interest about STEM should be pushed to pursue them. The article talks about four key steps to help women get involved in STEM. I think this article does a good job of explaining how getting yourself out there can help women pursue their dreams of working in STEM careers. The article speaks highly of mentor programs and donating money. This article shows why it’s important for more women to join in on STEM careers.
3. Ham, Robert. “TechfestNW 2013: Michelle Rowley.” TechfestNW 2013: Michelle Rowley. N.p., 28 Aug. 2013. Web. 21 May 2014.
This article shows first hand women are trying to get other women into the tech industry. The founder of Code Scouts, Michelle Rowley, talks about how the tech industry is gender biased. Her program Code Scouts helps to give women a fighting chance in the tech industry. The piece is important because it shows that women want to be in the tech industry but don’t know how to break into it. The nonprofit Codes Scouts gives women an environment to learn coding while meeting new people. This article clarifies the importance of women getting a fair shot in the tech world.
4. Haynie III, W.J. “Where The Women Are: Research Findings On Gender Issues In Technology Education.” Technology Teacher 64.7 (2005): 12-16. Academic Search Premier. Web. 22 May 2014.<http://web.a.ebscohost.com.libproxy.pcc.edu/ehost/detail?vid=13&sid=e5ef7d87-eec4-436a-8ddc-f8fb90535f25%40sessionmgr4004&hid=4201&bdata=JnNpdGU9ZWhvc3QtbGl2ZQ%3d%3d#db=aph&AN=16873085>
The article is based around gender issues in technology for education. Before the 1980s it was especially hard to get women into the industrial arts curriculum, but early on more contemporary technology curriculum caught women’s attention. This article is important because it gives background information of the research question. As well as addresses the gender biases in the tech world for women.
5. Fidelman, Mark. “Here’s the Real Reason There Are Not More Women in Technology.” Forbes. Forbes Magazine, 05 June 2012. Web. 28 May 2014. <http://www.forbes.com/sites/markfidelman/2012/06/05/heres-the-real-reason-there-are-not-more-women-in-technology/>.
This article is all about why there aren’t enough women in technical careers as well as why women don’t want technical careers. Mark Fidelman uses an example of 10 successful business women in tech careers to support his points. It’s supports my research because it helps back up what needs to change to get more women into the tech industry.
Public Writing Personal Blog
So far on this blog I have written two entries. The first one is about introducing my blog and what I’m discussing. The second entry is what I have done with my research topic and turned it into a research essay. The informations is all about women who have joined into the tech industry as well why women don’t want to be in the tech industry.